Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The New Year

Today was Rosh Hashannah or the Jewish new year. For many Jews, it's still Rosh Hshannah, for others, not really, but the for everyone, today was the day and I did almost nothing to celebrate. I didn't take my kids to services because I figured they'd be too overwhelming. I didn't take myself to service for the same reason. But we did all sit down to dinner together. It wasn't an especially special dinner, but it was at the table, we lit candles and blessed wine and honey and apples. ("Just like Shabbat and Channukah!" my daughter said.) And then, for dessert, we had a birthday cake -- because some people believe the world was created on Rosh Hashannah and what better way to celebrate the new year than singing happy birthday to the whole world. So here's to a new year for the whole world. Above all, let it bring peace. Everywhere.

No comments: