Friday, July 11, 2008

Ugh.

Last year, or maybe the year before, Judith Warner wrote a blog post complaining that graduating from an elite college was the highlight of her career. (I guess writing a book featured on the front cover of the Sunday Times Book review and then blogging for the newspaper of record are sloppy seconds and thirds respectively) If that wasn't bad enough, Judith Warner has given me more reasons to grind my teeth.

Back in 2004, she bought a Land Rover. I don't remember 2004 all that clearly, since that's the year I had my kids, but I believe global warming was pretty much public back then.

I think Toyota was already making the Prius.

But even way back in 2004 when gas was like $1.98/gallon, I don't think you could justify buying a 6,000+ pound vehicle that gets 11 miles to the gallon just because it made you feel rugged and your friends had one and you got a tax break to boot. The money/government pivot was nice (read: "It's all Bush's fault!), but not really relevant in a globally warmed village. You know?

I know she's trying to be funny. I know she's making fun of herself. But still. Seriously. Judith, it's just not that funny.

No comments: