Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies: The recipe

OK. So here's the chocolate chip cookie recipe that I most often make. I believe it was published in 2003. I usually cut the brown sugar a little and add a little more salt, and I always bake with kosher salt. For absolutely best results use bittersweet chocolate, and it's true, when you chop it yourself, the uneven globs are extremely satisfying. Finally, I don't make them so big, and, yes, I often eat them warm. Let me know what you think! (And I'll post about the Times recipe.....I'm going to have to try it. Note Orangette's post, and thanks to Sue at A Life Divided for pointing it out.)

Carolyn’s Chocolate Chip Cookie
Martha Stewart, July (2003)

2 cups + 2Tbsp all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup + 2 Tbsp firmly packed dark brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large whole egg
1 large egg yolk
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups semisweet choc chips
1 cup toasted walnuts

1. In large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda, set aside. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Turn off heat and add both sugars, whisk until combined. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl, let cool to room temperature.
2. Whisk yolk, egg yolk and vanilla into butter mixture. Fold in reserved flour ingredients until just combined. Fold in chips and nuts. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 325. Using 2 large spoons, place golf ball size mounds of dough 3 inches aart on baking sheets. Bake until cookies are golden brown and tops no longer look wet, 12 -14 min. Cool on baking sheet about 5 min, transfer to wire rack, let cool completely.

No comments: