Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Good News/Bad News

The good news more women around the world are surviving childbirth. The bad news is some public health organizations didn't want The Lancet, the British journal, to publish this information because they feared good news would, according to Denise Grady writing in the the New York Times "detract from their cause."

I wish I could say I didn't understand the fear. On the one hand, I'm definitely in the camp of people who want to bring good news into the sunlight. On the other hand, I've definitely been in a camp when good news is met with this response: "Oh things are going well? Let's stop doing all the stuff that's making things go well because it's working so you don't need it anymore." It's a little traumatic when that happens.

In any case, today, there's reason to celebrate the good, hard work being done on behalf of women around the world.

No comments: