Thursday, September 24, 2009

So 80s

I'm not a huge fan of the 80s revival in fashion. I didn't like huge shoulder pads and neon back in the day (well, maybe the shoulder pads), and I'm not wild about them now. And skinny stretch jeans? With Reeboks? Don't even get me started. But today, I got a manicure with my daughter. She got a coat of lime green with sparkles on top. Me, I got red. Like, supa-red, cherry red, Ann Taylor 1985 red, red, red, red, red red. That red. My nails are now short and red, the veins on my hands stand up as they've done since I was pregnant (no one ever talks about how your hands change after pregnancy, but they do, at least mine did), and now my hands look something like my mom's did when I was in high school. College, too. Granted, my mom's hands are much more elegant than mine. Her fingers more tapered, her nails always longer and better cared for, but still, I got totally 80s nails clickety clacking on this keyboard and they look -- you know -- familiar. Turns out 80s nostalgia can mean more than just neon and shoulder pads.

5 comments:

marjorie said...

even if it feels like trying on some other identity, a manicure is such a cheap bit of fun...and even more fun to do with your kid! i've been yearning for a purple mani myself.

Robin Aronson said...

a friend just told me she got the purple! It's so of the moment (s they'd say in lucky) just remember to ask for a slather of sparkles....Fabulous for Yom Kippur!

Robin Aronson said...

But I have to agree -- I wouldn't be surprised if there are more manis on our horizon....Helen was so thrilled....

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! I remember when I was a kid, nail polish was the one "beauty thing" I was allowed, and it was sweeeet. I'd buy all different colors at the drug store and was never without it. Thanks for the nostalgia trip (and welcome back)!
Lizi

Robin Aronson said...

THanks, Lizi! Good to "see" you!