Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Shuffle to iPod

I've lost my shuffle, the one my brother got me to get me running. I came in, I put it down, I thought to myself, "You know, this thing is so small you could lose it really easily." As if I didn't know that just by thinking that I was guaranteeing the loss of the shuffle. I mean, who thinks that with any reasonable hope of hanging on to a teeny tiny shiny little green thing? Some kind of fool, I tell you. Some kind of 40-year-old fool. In fact, I bet Apple made the shuffles that big (I'm snapping my fingers) not simply to make it easier to run with, but to insure that people would lose them and have to replace them. Frequently. The silver lining to all this is I have an iPod (I got it with points) and before I went to my cousin's son's bar mitzvah I loaded it up with a bunch of episodes of This American Life. (There was a train ride involved.) I never in a million years would have thought to run to people talking, but my friend Ana does, and I thought, "Why not?" And now I have the glory. The sheer simple glory of running to This American Life. (The summer camp episode? If you've been to sleepaway camp, you have to go find it and listen right now.) In fact, I'm thinking of getting another shuffle (I bet I have enough points) and filling it with nothing but This American Life episodes. Would I get sick of them? Maybe. But if that happens, there's always old school Fresh Air.

How hard do I rock? So. Hard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

See? See? Running while having people talking in your ear telling you stories is glorious! I told you so! (The newest shuffle looks way smaller than the old one, even. Soon they'll just be able to inject it under your skin like a pet ID chip. Then you won't lose it.)

Robin Aronson said...

You were SO RIGHT!!! You ARE so right! i know whatyou mean about that new shuffle though -- a little scarrrrry...esp if i buy one....