Monday, March 16, 2009

The Harem Pant

I know I don't usually blog about clothes, but the other day I ordered a few things from Anthropologie. They weren't the kinds of things that suggested I considered myself a winsome, dreamy 25 year-old who travels the world with an endless supply of print dresses and moody looks. Plus, they were on sale and I felt very patriotic buying them. But then today Anthropologie sent me an email suggesting these pants.

Can I just say? I once bought pants that could have fallen into the category of "harem pants." It was the eighties, I was in my teens, my hair feathered, I tanned with abandon, and I was in the region of the world sometimes called "the fertile crescent." The days of me and harem pants, they are long gone. And frankly, from the look of these pants, there aren't too many for whom those days should come back again.

4 comments:

Sue Dickman said...

Oh dear. Those just aren't a very good idea, are they? They're somewhat reminiscent of the salwar bottoms worn in India, except that when you're wearing salwar, you're also wearing a long kameez over them, so no one actually sees much of the pants, and that's the way it should be.

Robin Aronson said...

That's *exactly* the way they should be worn. Not like this. It's just so wrong.

Marjorie said...

you know how i'm co-writing a book with a model, right? girlfriend LIVES in harem pants. kids today! they don't know from MC Hammer! i see them on the lower east side, their crotch fabric around their knees, knowing NOTHING! NOTHING I TELL YOU!

Robin Aronson said...

kids today!!! please let us know if she shows up in a gold lame vest -- why not, right? crazy kids...