Friday, April 4, 2008

The Race

I think I shouldn't blog too much about politics-explicit, like the ups and downs of this or that particular hour, since I had to be told a week later that Hillary Clinton lied about being under fire in Bosnia and then said she said it because she was sleep deprived. (Um, so what does that mean when you answer the Red Phone at 3 AM and you've been up working and are then presumably sleep deprived, Hill? Will you say, "Oops" two days later?) But this is worth reading; it's on Bill Clinton and his demise. And what about Clinton strategist Mark Penn lobbying for a trade agreement with Colombia Clinton supposedly opposes? (Jezebel.com posts too much for me to find the link, but it's there somewhere.) Enough!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I turned 18 in 1992 and Bill Clinton was the first president I voted for, and I recall spending most the 90s defending them (LOL). The article you linked to summarized why I've turned away from all the Clintons--Bill, Hillary, and even Chelsea. It's difficult to feel sympathy for Hillary Clinton when she's responsible for most of the bad press she's been getting (e.g., sniper fire that didn't happen, keeping the Rev. Wright issue alive with superdelegates). She wants either the popular vote or the superdelegate count to matter--depending on what's beneficial to her. It's even difficult for me to be on Chelsea's side. She wants the media to cover her tour of college campuses, yet refuses to take questions from the media. She wants to engage young voters but is selective about which questions she'll answer. Can't have it both ways. None of my Democratic female friends are voting for Hillary, and it kills us that as much as we want to see a woman president, we want a restoration of integrity and character in the White House even more.

Robin Aronson said...

I agree. Ultimately, gender is meaningless in the face of wanton manipulation and reflexive power-grabbing. I didn't expect to see a woman as such a serious candidate until I was genuinely old....I hope after this campaign I don't have to wait that long for a viable and compelling woman to run for president. This time around, though, Hillary Clinton just isn't it. At least not for me.