Monday, April 21, 2008

Cell Phone Monday

It's hard to go back to blogging about our fortunate lives when my last post was an impassioned plea to feed the hungry.  But, what can you do?  Nothing but return to the random thoughts on life in the first world, and my random thought for today is about cell phones.

Recently, I've been thinking about giving mine up.  You know, when I was growing up, no one had a cell phone, and we were all fine.  We were safe.  My husband has two cell phones (and an office line where someone always answers) so if there's an  emergency, someone can always reach him. Always.  Even with a cell phone, I'm not always so reachable. So why do I need it? Could I recreate a simpler time by saying so long to the cell?  

I was thinking about this the other day, and then I started thinking about my friend E. I hadn't talked to E. in quite some time.  I missed talking to her.  I like talking to her.  I started to worry if something had happened in E.'s life that made her want to stay off the phone, even though she loves the phone.  Maybe something bad made her want to withdraw and shore up? She's usually so chatty!  I started to wonder if perhaps I had offended E., and she was just figuring out how she'd like to talk to me about it.  But then I realized I hadn't talked to her in so long, I'd hardly had an opportunity to offend her.  And then I realized that the very last time we'd spoken, she'd told me it was lucky I'd called her, at home, because she has no cell phone and she doesn't call anyone and wouldn't have my number even if she wanted to call me.  When we finally spoke the other day, E. said, "You know, at first the no-cell-phone thing was fine. And then I realized I hadn't talked to ANYONE in a really long time!"

All this to say, a so long to my cell would only make my life more difficult.  So, I'm embracing my cell but cultivating a Skinny attitude toward it.  I'm only going to use it when I really want to.

Other random notes:  
My daughter calls Passover "Makeover."  
My son ate my mother's chicken soup for the first time and pronounced it Deee-licious!  I was all farklempt.  
My mother made brisket for Passover, and a turkey, of course. For the brisket, she adapted a recipe from The Mensch Chef to make it kosher for pesach (she left out the Worscestershire sauce).  It was so good that I'm a little sad that that cookbook came into our lives just as meat seems to be leaving mine.  I could only have a nibble, but it was mighty tasty!  



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got to the point last year where it felt like my cell phone was wrecking my life. So I downsized to a 90-minutes-per-month plan and let people know I couldn't use it except for fairly compelling reasons while away from home. Otherwise, it's turned off and I don't even check voice mail, sometimes for days. And you know, it's been working out. How's that for Skinny?

Happy "Makeover"!

Lizi

Anonymous said...

I am the opposite--cell phone only. Only friends, family, and my healthcare providers have my cell number, so that helps control the number of calls I receive. I was sick of having the home phone ring all evening, even after joining the "do not call" list. Turns out the Democratic National Committee and other political groups are exempt from the list and no, I'm not interested in donating $50 to Congressman X's campaign.

On another note, have you decided to go veg?

Robin Aronson said...

I've heard people going both ways -- no cell phone, only cell phone. AS with the Skinny, when it comes to the Cell, you just got to be who you are!

As for going veg, I don't think I can go all the way vegetarian, but I just can't bring myself to eat a whole plate of red meat these days. Even chicken is hard. That's not to say if you invited me over for a dinner party and roasted a leg of lamb I wouldn't take some. But I wouldn't be surprised if those meals turn out to be the only ones where I eat red meat.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. What are you eating instead of meat these days?

Robin Aronson said...

Eggs, tofu, seitan, fish once a week, soups & beans in more dishes (there's a great recipe for a chickpea, artichoke heart, mushroom and tomato sauce dish in Patricia Wells' Vegetable Harvest -- super easy and tasty). I still eat chicken, and when I made Melissa's tofu last week (the link is in another post), I made it with chorizo and that didn't bother me. I just follow, you know, my gut.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I are omnivores, but we've recently decided to go mostly vegetarian (my friend calls us "flexitarians"). I'd rather not assign a name or category for our eating style, but it does look similar to how you're rating--eggs, tofu, some fish, and some pastured chicken when it's available at the farmers' market. Keep us posted!

Robin Aronson said...

Check out The Flexitarian cookbook by Peter Berley? It's v.good, i Love Fresh Food Fast -- my favorite lentil soup with spinach and lemon is in there....and this book is good, too b/c it has vegetarian and omnivorian options......i'll definitely keep you posted on how this change in my habits evolves.....

Anonymous said...

I just had an a-ha moment. 'Flexitarian' is another name for eating Skinny. That is, make fresh produce the focus of your diet, with some protein (meat based or not) and good fats rounding out your meals. I will certainly check out Peter Berley's book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Robin Aronson said...

You're right! How about that.