Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Dishwasher

In a world poised on the brink of both despair and virtually transcendent hope, the conversation I keep having these days is about one thing. The dishwasher. Everyone, it seems, hates unloading. No one minds filling it up, and why not? In doing so, one might exercise great organizational feats and solve seemingly unsolvable puzzles like, "Just where can this mug go?" Plus, you clear out the sink and it's so satisfying to clean up.

But unloading the dishwasher is kind of like putting away folded laundry; the work is done and the last dribs and drabs are nothing but a bother.

At least that's what everyone else seems to think. Me, I don't like the laundry, but I love unloading the dishwasher. It makes me feel so, I don't know, accomplished. And this shows you where I am these days, and what passes for accomplishment. But you know what I say? I say you take what you can get.

No comments: