Sunday, August 31, 2008

Politics, Palin & Me

I'm not a political blogger. I sometimes write about politics, sure, but it's not like I'm a total news junkie, media hog, 24-7 politico-maniac. I know people like that, and I know I'm not one of them. But right now, I can't bring myself to blog about anything other than Sarah Palin's nomination because Palin's nomination feels like nothing short of a national crisis. I know that sounds melodramatic, but that's how I feel.

Over at Politico yesterday, they had a story about what the nomination says about McCain. The short answer: He's desperate and terrified of a landslide. But what does the fact that a desperate politician (who's 72 and has had FOUR bouts of cancer) can nominate someone clearly unqualified for a job that could be one of the most powerful in the world (should he die) whom he doesn't know and reasonably think that this decision will get votes -- what does all that say about us as an electorate? It blows my mind to think about how crass and how absurd our political landscape has become. I'm a little devastated by it. And terrified by it. And it's keeping me from blogging about anything else. Like this bicycle, which I think is really cool, but if Sarah Palin becomes Vice President, I might have to ride it to Canada.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. Thanks for the link to the excellent piece on this topic. My coping mechanism up to now was to ignore political news as much as possible, but this one pushed too many of my buttons. The scariest part is, this country was deluded enough to elect Bush for not one but two terms, so it's not that far-fetched to imagine another lunatic outcome. I'm about to start another "news fast." But I'll continue following your excellent blog anyway!
Lizi

Robin Aronson said...

Thanks, Lizi! I may have to start blogging about things other than politics b/c it's true, the Bush example is NOT a good one what can we do?

Anonymous said...

"America, we are better than these last eight years. We are a better country than this." From Obama's mouth to God's ears....
Lizi