Monday, November 16, 2009

Stranger than Fiction

Why did I just read this piece on Slate about Sarah Palin and her new book? For the same reason that I read the Megan Fox profile in the Sunday Times Magazine? Do I like stories about women making up stories to make themselves matter to people who buy movie tickets or vote? Will this help me make of stories of myself so I can turn myself into a whole other person? Who would I be? Let's see: I would have better skin and a better back. I would still practice yoga and volunteer somewhere at least once a week. I wouldn't be annoyed every time I had to select the state I live in from those drop down boxes on an online form. In fact, I wouldn't even shop online so I wouldn't have to be annoyed by those drop down boxes. I'd also compost and be a member of a community garden and I wouldn't yell at cars when I'm crossing the street with my kids. I guess that's all well and good, but none of it is going to get me votes or sell any movie tickets to movies I'm not in either as myself or someone else. So it goes.

No comments: