Sunday, November 23, 2008

Something I'd Like to Read

Autism's False Prohpets by Paul Offit about vaccinations and autism is exactly the kind of book I'd like to read. I love the debunking yarn, the naysaying challenger, the guy who's all "Oh no they didn't." I know there are probably compelling books out there about the truth to the autism-vaccination connection, but I'm not so interested in those because I feel like opting out of vaccination asks others to assume a potential (perhaps non-existent) risk you yourself aren't willing to take and yet you rely on those others who are willing to take any risk that might be associated with vaccination to protect your kids from the much greater risk of infectious disease. In other words, it's not fair. In my opinion. I know I'm throwing down the vaccination gauntlet here, but so be it. I don't want to fight about it, I want to read about it. This review from Sullivan's blog made me want to read about it. But, you know what? I'm not going to read that book. I'm reading Middlemarch. I'm knitting a bear. If the Dow weren't below 8,000 (or whatever it is), maybe I'd buy it and stick it on my shelf, but the frugalista in me is demanding honesty and honesty says I'm just going to keep on keeping on in my opinions and if in six months I'm really compelled, I can always go to the library.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salon recently reviewed the book as well. Ever since I read "Good Calories, Bad Calories," I've been interested in the naysaying challenger, too.

http://www.salon.com/books/review/2008/09/22/autism/

I have friends who have opted not to vaccinate their kids, and while I don't agree, I've stayed silent on the issue. After last week, I've become even more pro-vaccination. My youngest sister was hospitalized for a week with meningitis. While her doctors were not able to identify the cause, they told me that childhood diseases such as the mumps can bring on a case of meningitis. After witnessing the physical pain my sister went through, I am certain that no parent would ever want their child to experience that. So if it were my child, I wouldn't hesitate about the MMR vaccination.

BTW, I love your term "frugalista."

Robin Aronson said...

I wish I could take ownership of "frugalista"!The good Mr. Safire introduced me to it: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/magazine/23wwln-safire-t.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=frugalista&st=cse

I'm definitely going to check out the Salon review, and I'm so sorry about your sister! I wish her a speedy and full recovery!