Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Was I Right About That?

Funny thing, I keep thinking about whether or not I was upset by the cruel twists in biblical stories (see the post on Moses just below) as a child and I can't really come up with an answer. I remember my teachers getting very serious when approaching one of these stories, taking on a tone that said, "This has a reason, this will be OK." And I think I remember being wide-eyed at some of what I heard. And of course, bursting into tears at school because of a chumash (Hebrew bible) lesson would've been all wrong. Maybe my emotional responses to these stories were all about context and not content? School vs home? Morning vs bedtime? All this could've kept me from feeling quite as much in response to stories I learned in school as I might have had I heard them first at home. In any case, it's been a funny line of thought shooting through my head these last two days, making me wonder about emotion and context and teaching and how that all fits together. Right now though, I have nothing more on that then a kernel of a question. And now, it's time for some Matzah Brei!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

randomly came across this, and now like you my mind is boggled. but id say some questions are best left unanswered, the biggest of which is whats the meaning of life?