Thursday, December 31, 2009

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs: The cautionary tale

My kids love this 1978 book about the town of Chewandswallow where it rains and snow food, drinks and condiments. Eventually, the weather turns bad in Chewandswallow:

"The food was getting larger and larger, and so were the portions. The people were getting frightened. Violent storms blew up frequently. Awful things were happening....."

Soon, tornadoes of tomatoes uproot houses; it rains enormous slices of bread and rolls; a pancake crushes the school. Finally, the town must be abandoned. I can't help but read the whole thing as a cautionary tale of climate change, which seriously diminishes the joy of bedtime stories, for me that is. The good news is my kids have no idea, although they do know from watching Wall-E that we have to be careful about trash. There's only so much restraint of my climate anxiety I can manage.

No comments: