Monday, April 13, 2009

The Barbie Situation

Last week, on my brother's advice, I got a Rapunzel Barbie for my niece for her birthday. At first, I didn't want to buy it because at $36.95, it seemed pretty pricey. I wondered if all Barbie's were equally expensive these days and searched for an African American Barbie -- Louis, my brother, had mentioned he and his wife were interested in adding some diversity to the Barbie collection and I figured if I was going to spend that much, I might as well meet the wishes of the whole family. Well, much to my surprise, all Barbies are not priced equally. The African American Rapunzel Barbie, with all the same attachments, cost something like $24.95.

On the one hand, I was glad not to spend thirty-seven bucks on a Barbie. On the other, that price difference is seriously weird. I don't quite know what to say about it in a blog post without more research and serious thought, so I'm sticking with the simple original. Weird. It's really weird.

No comments: