Monday, February 2, 2009

What Recovery Means to Me

I just got an email from President Obama. The subject line is "What Recovery Means to Me." Since the election, I haven't read the emails I've gotten from David Plouffe or Michelle Obama. Even Joe Biden couldn't get me to point and click. But the President with that subject line got me clicking, and you know what? I'm glad I did. Here's what it told me: Gov. Tim Kaine is going to be in a video about the recovery and there are going to be house parties and video taped questions that he'll answer and even though I can't go or host a house party, I appreciate, genuinely, that the administration is making an effort to not only inform me but include me in the process. This feels like something entirely new and it's fulfilling the promise of digital media. I'm almost geeked out thinking about it, and I'm choosing to not read it cynically, like, way to keep up the donor base. Instead, I'm thinking I'll get more emails. I'll be more informed. Maybe one day I'll make it to a house party. Maybe, I'll get involved, and, you know, it won't be that hard. Do you know what this is? This is a community organizer at work. Kind of like a mayor, but with the actual ability to motivate citizens to act.

No comments: