Saturday, August 30, 2008

Palin

If you haven't yet made your way over to Andrew Sullivan's blog, now's the time. He says almost everything there is to be said about the unbelievably and unremittingly cynical nomination of Sarah Palin. He links to many worthwhile postings, too.

At Politico.com, Jonathan Martin has a jaw-dropping story on the "history" of McCain's relationship with Palin (there is none). What the Republican consultants say is important, too.

I haven't been through the blogs yet today, but here's what I want to know: How is it that Palin is holding up Hillary Clinton as an icon (which she is), when her party has spent the last two decades tearing her down?

And I ask you this: Can anyone imagine a Democrat, who's a woman and a mother of five including a 4-month-old with Downs syndrome and who works full-time already who's then nominated to VP of the whole country who would be lionized as the next best thing since sliced bread by "pro-family" conservatives? Me either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cynical is right. I'm so appalled by the whole picture, I don't even know what to say. Other than, ugh.
Lizi

Robin Aronson said...

Good to see you, Lizi! Although I wish it could be on a happier topic. I really think and hope this is a terrible miscalculation on McCain's part. I think it diminishes him in the eyes of many who disagreed with him but respected him. At least that's how I feel. If you can, check out this article in Politico:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12997.html