Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Voting: A travesty!

I'm just back from voting in the primary here in New York City. If I didn't know better, I'd say Boss Tweed was alive and kicking in lower Manhattan having sent his minions to Albany to deal with those pesky things called votes. How? Well, here in New York City, they've replaced the old fashioned, lever pulling machines with scanners. But, in my district, where there once were at least six or eight machines there are now only two and this morning, just before I got on one of the very long lines for a machine, one of the two broke so the two long lines had to merge into one. Standing on that line was like being in traffic after a major accident shuts down the road. You're not moving forward, but if you want to get where you're going, you can't go anywhere else. Finally, the voting coordinator gave voters the option of slipping their votes into an emergency voting slot, promising to scan them when the polls close. I don't know for sure if my vote will be counted, but I know that without two hours to spend on the scanner line, I tried my best.

2 comments:

marjorie said...

at my polling place it took three workers (and six or seven minutes) to check me in. i hope they get better at this as the day progresses. the poll workers were having a lot of trouble understanding the paperwork they were supposed to do. a friend on the LES reported that her voting place simply didn't open. i heard on WNYC at around 11am that it STILL wasn't open.

Robin Aronson said...

It's shocking, really. I seriously started to wonder if they could try doing the whole thing over again.