Wednesday, March 17, 2010

We've ALL Got Issues

For days now I've been trying to write about Judith Warner's new book We've Got Issues: Children and Parents in the Age of Medication. I can't. I've got issues! Not with the book, at least not with the whole book. I have some issues with the first forty pages but after those are done I think Warner gives us sound reporting, a good discussion of cultural biases and fears, and reasonable conclusions. Does that sound vague? I mean for it to sound vague. Warner's pretty pro-medication but she's also pro-parents trying to figure things out for their kids with the best resources available to them, and since I'm one of those parents (my son has sensory issues), I was glad to read her book.

Still, it'd be much easier for me to blog about the divorce of Kate Winslet and Sam Mendes. I was sad to read about it, but from what the tabloids have to say, they had some issues....and some friends, if you know what I mean. (And if you don't, read here and here. Thanks to Jezebel for the links and naming why I care.)

4 comments:

Sue Dickman said...

I was sorry to hear about Kate Winslet's split too, and I really hope Rebecca Hall wasn't the other woman. I saw her first in the BBC mini-series of Mary Wesley's novel The Camomile Lawn, directed by her father, when she was 10 or so, and I've also seen her in a couple of more recent things and liked her. Maybe it's that I don't want to think of her as a home wrecker. Meanwhile, I'm glad, at least, that Emma Thompson was available to go with Kate to Mexico. I think she'd be excellent in this kind of crisis.

Robin Aronson said...

Did Emma go with Kate to Mexico? Oh, that's fantastic. She's the perfect no-nonsense but sympathetic companion. Isn't it funny how we want our celebrities, even those whom we view as actual actors first, to not be home wreckers? It's like after the whole Mary Louise Parker-what's his name split (while she was pregnant with his child, the guy who does the voice over for the Priceless ads ...Billy Crudup- great actor) I could never look at Claire Danes the same again. Crudup, well, I don't know how I looked at him in the first place. We saw him in The Elephant Man shortly after the split and he was so good, his personal life didn't much matter. And Danes was really good in the Orson Welles movie......so it goes.

Sue Dickman said...

Yes, apparently Kate, Emma and kids all decamped to Mexico. If I had a bad breakup like that, I'd totally want Emma there with me (you know, if we actually knew each other in real life).

And I have to admit there seemed to be some poetic justice in Claire Danes then leaving Billy Crudup for Hugh Dancy, whom she's since married. (Not that Billy Crudup will have any trouble getting girls, or anything.)

I want to see that Orson Welles movie--missed it in the theater but will look for it on DVD.

Robin Aronson said...

The Orson Wells movie is really pretty charming. THe movie stars do best in the movies, though it'd be nice if Claire Danes now would eat a meal or two.....