Sunday, January 3, 2010

Welcome Back!

I was a little amazed to hear from my husband that Obama had handled "the terrorism thing" badly. I read in Politico that people followed the story closely. But the story broke during my kids' vacation and who has time to read the paper during vacation? And after reading David Brooks' column yesterday, I'm glad I missed the whole episode. He wrote:

In a mature nation, President Obama could go on TV and say, “Listen, we’re doing the best we can, but some terrorists are bound to get through.” But this is apparently a country that must be spoken to in childish ways.

All the news, all the bickering, it's all so, so, over. Reading the paper or blogs, watching the political shows, being even a little bit tuned in to how current events are being talked about is a little like being stuck in small cabin with a couple on the brink of divorce. No swipe is too low, no comment unworthy of not just muttering but repeating at the top of the lungs. You say tom-ay-to and I say tom-ah-to, let's call the whole thing off!

No comments: