Monday, June 29, 2009

You Might Like

When I was packing for a weekend trip this past Friday, I found the shuffle that I'd lost a while back. I was glad, even though I've fallen in love with the audiobook for running and use my iPod classic for that. I think it'll be nice to have the shuffle sometimes. It's nice to change things up. As a present to myself for my discovery, I bought a few things to add to the shuffle mix. I bought Elvis Costello's new album because I have a few songs from The River In Reverse on the iPod with the books and I like to run to it and because I love Elvis Costello and want to marry him. I also bought Madonna's Immaculate Collection because if you're a Madonna fan of my vintage, the collection is, in fact, immaculate, perfect, sublime. (Plus, Holiday alone was $1.29, which just seemed silly.) But then, when I was done with my Madonna purchase, iTunes made some suggestions. Like, if I like the Immaculate Collection I might like Olivia Newton John, Let's Get Physical. Or The Best of the Cars. Or Tiffany, I Think We're Alone Now. Now, I'm not a huge music snob. I like what I like and I like a lot of different kinds of music and I'm not defined by the music I listen to, but I have to say, I was offended, for Madonna's sake and mine. Let's Get Physical? Really? I know her music isn't so great anymore, but still. I had to go back to the Elvis Costello album I bought (Secret, Profane and Sugarcane) and see what would be recommended from that just to regain some diginity. At least if iTunes had recommended Debbie Gibson's Only In My Dreams I could hold my head up high. But, I guess, as real as it seems, the whole music pride thing, it was only in my dreams.

Now, if only I could figure out how to load up just my playlist for running I'll be all set.

No comments: